The History of our Church
The roots of Presbyterianism in the Ligonier Valley go back over 200 years. The Fairmont and Donegal churches constitute much of the history of our Presbyterian heritage. The Associate Presbyterian Church in the USA all are part of the history of this church, now affiliated with the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). The Ligonier congregation was known as a "group of sturdy Calvinists." The present church building was begun in 1876 under the leadership of Reverend W.H. Vincent (for which Vincent Street is named), at a cost of $4,200. It was completed in 1877 and formally opened for worship in August of that year.
Pioneer Presbyterian Church is a member of the PCA (Presbyterian Church in America). The PCA is one of the fastest growing Presbyterian denominations in North America, with over 1700 church and 335,000 members as of December 2000. Churches have joined the PCA because they were unwilling to compromise the biblical gospel or essential Christian doctrines. Although the "official" birth date of the denomination is December 4, 1973, the spiritual roots of the PCA run all the way back to the Protestant Reformation.